365 Ways #312–Burning the candle

#312--Most candles are made with paraffin wax, a byproduct of the petroleum industry and often treated by a number of toxic chemicals. Burning them allows these volatile compounds to escape into the air. Asthma and allergy sufferers will often find breathing these fumes will trigger an attack. And anyone with chemical sensitivity will likely suffer ill effects, as well. A healthier alternative is to choose beeswax candles. All natural and generally hypo-allergenic, they are actually safe enough to eat. They also emit negative ions. Typically found near sources of moving water like waterfalls or breaking waves, negative ions have been shown to alleviate depression and increase the delivery of oxygen to the brain. And while they are often more expensive, beeswax candles actually burn longer (in addition to cleaner) than ordinary candles. That is, unless you get a hankering for honey which you just can't resist....

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published